Midterm assignment: Proposal for research
The midterm consists of a 5-10 page (double spaced) proposal for an anthropological research project involving GIS data management and analysis.
A. Theoretical goals of the project
- why use GIS (based on what you've learned so far).
- what are the strengths and the drawbacks to organizing your research with GIS?
- how do you anticipate presenting the data (paper, web, tables, summaries?)
- how would your digital research approach interface with existing data acquired using traditional methods? Is it compatible?
- data acquisition and processing issues
- data organization and table structure.
- analysis goals. Pick two or three phenomena of interest. How do GIS based analysis methods fit / not fit with these goals?
- dissemination of results
- web distribution?
- security / privacy issues?
- storage of data.
Bibliography using anthropological citation conventions.
Hand in Midterm before class on 6th week.